Thursday, June 3, 2010

More Than a Headache - Here is My Advice

Well, I spent the majority of the day looking at different inventory tools for my business. I looked at spreadsheets and Quickbooks and Quicken and etsy blogs and forums, until I finally my brain couldn't take it anymore! After I realized that I had spent six hours working on this, six hours of my life that I cannot get back, I reverted to what I already had; www.outright.com and a spreadsheet that I downloaded a while a ago from etsy. It really is a great spreadsheet and I adjusted it to fit my needs. I will play around with it some more but here is the link to it: www.etsy.com/storque/how-to/etsy-seller-inventory-worksheet-954. Take a look at it, I think it will be a good tool.

However, I am also learning that I actually need to insert the data for it to be useful! I am one of those that puts receipts in a pile and enters things months later and forgets what it was that I purchased...not good..... If there is one thing that I have learned through my adventures in opening a business is DO THE RESEARCH FIRST!! I dove head first into this and purchased many many a pretty things and then had at it making frame after frame and necklace after necklace without knowing what I was spending and making. Then you enter in fees and time and postage and what-not and before you know it, you are LOSING money and time! Not a good strategy!

So, if I can help in any way and pass on any advice it would be do your research first and know where you are spending your money and how much and how much you need to make! Seems simple enough? Sure, but when you get an idea in your head and don't take the time to set yourself up, it can be very time consuming and you can lose your money and your mind!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails